Monday, March 2, 2015

Day 35 : Office Romances


If you've read my last post you already know how much I love public transportation. Mainly because there is  always a good chance that you'll get to witness something interesting. Today was one of them.

Today is Monday. And as is it is with a majority of people on this planet, I hate this day. It means the end of a two day's rest and the beginning of another grueling week at work. Today's commute promised to be just like that. Another start of the week where I try to recollect what was the situation in office on Friday, did I keep any time-bombs laying around that would've now exploded all over my inbox via mails over the weekend. This hasn't ever happened yet, but I always come to work on Monday with almost as much dread as despise.

I was having an inner monologue regarding it with myself like JD from Scrubs, about the how the little things scare us so much in life when I realized the train had almost reached my station. I got up to get near the exit. I was so engrossed in my conversation with myself inside my head that I didn't notice that some people around me were staring my way. I looked this way and that way, everyone really was looking at me. Was I talking out loud?

That's when I noticed that they weren't actually gawking at me but to the people standing behind me. A guy and a girl. The guy was tall and buffed up. The girl by the looks of it a Punjaban, umm a guy can always tell. They both looked very familiar. But since they were standing just behind me I didn’t have a good look. I couldn't just turn around and outright stare at time like a pervert. I’d wait till I got off the train.

All the time that I was conscious of them, I was also aware that they were arguing. The girl was talking mostly. And I sensed the reason that people were staring at her was not just because she was hot. But also because that she was verbally abusing the guy. Even I was impressed by the way she was describing various parts of the guy's anatomy. While the guy just stood there grinding his teeth, trying his best not to lash out at her. I am sure many in the compartment, had made silent bets with themselves that he will be losing it very soon if this went on another few minutes.

But in a few minutes we all got down the station and everyone went in their separate ways. I could still see people turning around repeatedly, or walking slow to catch some more of the couples spat. Apparently they were working at the same office complex as my company so it was easier for me to stay within earshot to them. Sorry, some gossips are just irresistible.

By the time we got out the station and crossed the road, their conflict had died out and they both got silent. In the beginning they were walking along side each other, if only to be able to fight better. But now, since they had become largely aware of the people around them enjoying themselves with their early morning soap drama. They became silent and started walking apart from each other. The guy walked brisk and ahead of her, while the girl got her earphones out of her handbag and put them on walking a few paces behind him.

This went on all along the way till the entrance of our office complex. I had by this time, restarted the music in my own earphones that I had paused in the train while listening to their argument. I walked along the sidewalk shuffling music and had nearly forgotten the couple by the time I reached my office building. I looked up, and there they were. The guy still walking fast, the girl still a few steps behind now speaking to someone on her phone. They worked in the same company as me. Now I realized why they looked so familiar, they were teammates with one of my friends. Interesting.



Then it got more interesting. When the time came to get into the elevators to go to our respective floors the girl skipped two shuttles to avoid getting into the same elevator as the guy. Maybe she thought getting into such close confines with someone when you're as mad as at him as right now, is not a good idea. Incidentally I got into the same elevator as she did. The ride  as usual was silent, everyone busy with their own mobile phones and thoughts. But my attention was secretly directed to the girl throughout. She was sobbing a little, shivering all over, her skin white as sheet. She really was upset.

When the lift opened up at the floor she worked in, she only realized it to get out at the last moment. On the other side of the lobby, I could see the guy also just getting into the same lobby. Well, they both did work in the same team remember. This day was going to be very tormenting to them. Must be very uncomfortable, sitting near someone with whom you have so much baggage.

I don't know what their story is. But just to be conventional, let's just assume they were a couple. They just had a fight. Hopefully just a small one which’ll get fixed in a couple of days. But what if it didn't? What if they split up? Well they did work on the same floor, probably sat close to each other. They’ll inevitably rub shoulders with the same set of people. They’ll probably cause more awkward situations with their colleagues, over whose parties to attend. It is always tough to choose which friend to stand by post a break-up.

They will not even be able to work together properly. Their boss is going to have a lot many unforeseen complications coming his way. Good luck, guy.

Damn, this really is heavy.


Today, I think office romance is worse than what it is made up to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment